I Believe in Dedicating Songs

Evelyne - Santa MOnica, California

There’s nothing better than turning on your radio and realizing that the song playing is the one that reminds you of your boyfriend. Perhaps you’re at the store and someone’s ring tone is that song that reminds you of your best friend. A song can say so much and mean even more. There’s nothing better than knowing that someone thinks of you when they hear that song or your thinking of a person the instant you hear the melody begins. I’ve always loved music, but being able to connect to it on a more personal level now that I’m older is possibly one of the most amazing feelings in the world. Music just fills this small spot that my voice can’t reach. When I’m lost as lost can get, song lyrics step in and take over to let everyone know what I mean.

If there is one song that makes me believe that song dedicating is incredible, it’s the one that my dad dedicated not only to my mom, but also to my grandparents. As unbelievable as it may seem, my parents are the Mexican version of Romeo and Juliet — two rival families that didn’t want their kids anywhere near each other. Yet when my dad put his eyes on my mom that was it. He said it all with a song that to this day he likes to play to my grandparents whenever they’re visiting. The song is called, “La Puerta Negra” meaning “The Black Door.” The title alone makes me smile because my mom’s house actually has two tall black-gated doors to get into the actual house. The song says that not even the black door will hold him back. The song questions if the parents were ever in love themselves, if there was a reason not to understand that he loved their daughter.

Like most parents, mine argue from time to time. Sometimes I become frustrated myself, but then I hear my dad going back to my mom like a little boy, sitting next to her singing “tu a mi me quieres y yo te quiero” and I realize that it’s true. The song says it all, even now when they’re older. She can lock herself up in her own little tower with a black door and a million locks, but nothing will stop their love. In a world full of divorces and marital abuse, a song puts me at ease.

I believe in song dedications. In having lyrics replace words and feelings just so perfectly. To me they say more than a dozen flowers or a big teddy bear. They say “I’m thinking about you in the smallest moments like when I’m hearing the radio and this comes on.” They can say “I hate you with a burning passion.” Most importantly they can say, “I love you” in just the most perfect way.