nicholas - Santa Monica, California

This I Believe Essay

I believe in competition. From the moment you are born into this world you’re a competitor. Competing with all others to be the best you can be. Competing to be the richest. Competing to be the most successful. Competing to be the best athlete. Competing to be the smartest. Competing to be the best movie star. Competing to be the best dancer. Competing to be the best singer. Competing to have the perfect partner. Competing for whatever you desire.

Growing up with older cousins helped be with my competitiveness. They were always pushing me to do my best just so I could keep up with them. This helped me in many ways and not just to be a tougher kid. It taught me that desire and will can overcome many obstacles that come across my path as I continue on with my life. Competitiveness makes you a better person.

Being an athlete is another way competition has helped me in my life. Even though coaches are always saying “you win some and you lose some, so always give it your best,” we know winning brings the better feeling. Striving to achieve that feeling of being victorious and knowing you’re better brings out the competitor in you even more. Competition brings out the aggression you need that will push you to do the best at what you are doing. Competitiveness makes you a better person.

With competition, comes failure. But failure is ok. Failure brings out the competition even more. The feeling of giving it all you got and coming up short drives you to want it even more. You come back hungrier and more up for the challenge. And when you succeed there is no better feeling than knowing you gave it your all and come out on the top. A time in my life when this has happened to me was on my little league baseball team. I happened to make the all-stars when I was a 10 year old. I had a lot of fun being on that team and playing in the tournament. But the next year wasn’t my best, I moved up divisions and didn’t end up making the team. So the next year when I was twelve I worked hard and played every game with aggression and a competitive attitude and made the team again that year. It felt so good that all my hard worked payed off and I was successful and did something I wanted and really liked to do. Competitiveness makes you a better person.

I’ll continue to be competitive in everything I do until I have reached the top. And once reaching the top continue to do whatever it takes to stay up there. I’ll be a competitor from the moment of birth until my days are done. I believe in competition. I believe in competition.