dustin - santa monica, California

I believe in the power of doing good deeds for other people. I was raised up in a family to always do well to others by helping them in need. When I was little, I would always copy everything my dad would do. He was my role model when I was little; he would always explain to me that doing good deeds is one of the greatest things you can achieve in our religion.

Therefore, every Saturday I would always participate in going to temple, reading Hebrew, and always listening to what the Rabbi has to say in his speech. His speeches would consist of what we just read and what the value of it is and how it connects to real life today. Doing good deeds is more then helping the old woman cross the street, getting the cat down from tree and doing those typical things. It more based on contributing to a community in need, helping people live a happy life, just having an impact on somebody in different ways.

A specific event that happened to me recently, made me realize how much a deed could benefit a person. Getting into a car crash early in to the school year was a reality check for me to realize how I should give more care into driving. Having my dad pay for everything, which I felt he should not because it was my fault for switching lanes and cutting off someone and rear ending somebody, resulted into a hefty payment to fix. However, knowing my dad of course he would pull something off like that and pay it without even thinking twice. Knowing he did something like that for me, I felt the need to help other people. Just things like helping out my friends being there for them when they need me, joining a club called the Resilient Youth Foundation that helps people who are under privileged, and especially helping my dad out when he needs it. I help my dad by doing chores for him that he cant do by himself like getting electronics due to his not having any sense of what’s good or what’s the best just because he was raised up with no technology what so every. I also try to go to temple with him as much as I can because he loves to have his son by his side during those speeches by the rabbi. And so, I believe in doing good deeds–for my community, for my family, and for myself.