Kim - santa monica, California
Themes: purpose

I believe in the power of summer vacation. I believe in the time right before school gets out when you can smell summer in the air. I believe in sand sifting between my toes and sun beating on my skin. I believe that summer is an essential season that makes each and every passing year a good one. There is nothing like it.

I love summer. I live for summer. Summer is incredible and it triggers a sense of happiness within me, unlike anything I’ve felt before. Hearing talk about yearbooks and finals and the suddenly warmer weather always indicates that summer is not far from my reach. This period of time where I can do as I please, in the nicest weather imaginable—not far from my reach. I can’t wait.

Summer is palpable. I can feel it breathing down my neck as the school year comes to an anticipated halt. The skies become clear and crisp, the nights become warm and slightly humid: leaving behind any trace of June gloom or May grey. Summer thrills and norms engulf my mind, with the beach always at my back door, or only a few miles away.

To me, summer means happiness. Pure bliss. There is nothing like sitting on the beach, in the warm sand, staring out into the horizon, blanketed for miles in glistening summer water. Summer means time to play and swim and relax with the people I love. Time to work on the tan I’ve longed for since November. Since my skin transformed from a sun-soaked brown to a pasty white. Although it may not be the best thing for my skin, I love the way tanned skin looks and I love the way it feels to have the sun beating down on my darkening skin. It warms my soul. In summer, I can enjoy being tan for a few months, anyway, until I lose my tan again in November and must wait to start over once more: a devastating reality.

I love summer because it is not about cloudy skies or having to bundle up, to layer my clothing. It’s about BBQs by the pool, long days spent at the beach, hanging out with old friends, and simply enjoying life without school (unless you have summer school, of course). It’s about wearing bathing suits, and shorts at night because even at night it’s warm. Summer is about laughing hysterically and loving unconditionally. It’s about summer loves that die hard. Really hard.

Now unfortunately, like most things, summer must come to an end. An end I dread each time autumn creeps around. But after it all, I am still thankful for summer and at the end I know I always have next summer vacation to look forward to.

I believe in summer vacation.