Jenny - Santa Monica, California
Themes: pleasure

This I Believe …

I believe that being lazy is not always bad. Being lazy helps me to reload my batteries and achieve a new level of mental satisfaction.

Laziness is probably one of the simplest pleasures in life – it does not require any effort from my part. Although sloth and laziness are considered one of the seven deadly sins, in reality, laziness does not destroy the mind; rather, being lazy helps my mind to reach its full potential.

In today’s hectic world, laziness seems out of place everywhere. I have homework to do, tests to study for, friends to hang out with. Nowhere does society seem to consider my need to be lazy sometimes. This is not the way it should be. Once I’m even a bit stretched for time, I must give up my “lazy time” to do my other duties. No more late nights with Conan O’Brien, no more afternoons at the beach, no more surfing the internet in search for funny movies on YouTube. However, laziness is essential for me to do the duties I’m given. Laziness allows me to take a break from the outside world and just focus on myself.

I never have a fear of overindulging in laziness. It is practically impossible, for after a few days of rolling around in pajamas watching Star Wars on HBO, I get tired of being lazy and begin to feel jumpy and energized again. This is when I know I’m ready to get back to work and solve some math problems, go to the gym, or clean my room.

As a hard worker, laziness is another goal I must work for. It is a temptation, and the taste of the indulgence is better when I have some hard work credits to spend. After taking all the burdensome AP tests in May, I could finally, after many intense days of studying, be lazy. The following weekend, I slept until noon, skipped the gym, and ate ice cream from the box without feeling the least bit guilty of my laziness.

Laziness reaches its ultimate peak during the summer vacations, when I can just take a whole week off and spend it on the beach, resting my mind. After that, I am ready for all the challenges life brings. That is the ultimate value of laziness – it prepares me to confront the world by helping me reload my batteries. Like a cell phone, I cannot do anything unless I have power in my batteries.