Violette - Santa Monica, California
Themes: carpe diem

Don’t worry about it

No matter how long I live I’m never going to forget my 11th grade Spanish teacher. Señora Paul taught me more than just Spanish—she taught me about la vida. Everything she said made sense, whether it was conjugating a verb or one of her philosophies, and no matter what she did Señora Paul was never afraid to be herself.

Something she said a lot was, “Do what you can; if you can’t do anything about it then don’t let it bother you—let the spirits take care of it.” Ever since those words came out of her mouth, I have believed in them. I now often pass this message on to my friends when they are having a hard time. Although it is easier said than done, many people (including me) have found comfort in these words.

Before my brother’s first football practice, he had a feeling that he had mixed up the dates and had missed it. That night he was so nervous and stressed he could not go to sleep. I told him that there was no use in worrying about it because there was nothing he could do, and that he should just go to sleep. The next day he woke up and called one of his friends, who then reassured him that they had not started practicing yet. Even though it might be hard not to worry about things once you set your mind to it, it is possible.

After I took the SAT I was a nervous wreck; all I could think about was “What if I did bad, what if I did bad, what if I did bad?” After that I thought to myself, I did all I can do and there is nothing I can do anymore, so I stopped worrying about it—and I felt a lot better.

Today it seems like everybody is overly stressed, and most of the time we are either worrying about silly little things that don’t matter or something we have no control over. We shouldn’t worry about what we can’t do, but about what we can do. It’s that simple. Señora Paul is always a joy to be around she is funny, never stressed and never worries about things she shouldn’t be worrying about. I hope to be like Señora Paul, and this is why I share her belief.