What are Mothers Supposed to Be?

Brittany - Willcox, Arizona

I believe that mothers are suppose to be there for their children. There are a lot of young adults that do not believe in raising their children. All they care about is going out and seeing when they are going to get a fix. A fix is more important than raising their families.

I have a couple of family member that have childern. Michael’s and Ariel’s grandparents have been raising them for the past three years. Thier mothers have not even been around. When I hear Michael call his grandma “Mom”, that breaks my heart. Michael and Ariel’s mothers leave at all hours of the night so that they can go and get a fix. Ariel’s dad is now is prison for drugs. Ariel has this skin disease because her mother and her dad smoked so much methylamine around her. She has red bubbles like boils underneath her skin that are always going to be there. When I would baby-sit Ariel she would ask for her sippy cup. When I would give it to her she would want to see what is in it. She would also hide it behind something because she was scared that someone was going to put something in her cup. Well, come to find out that her mother and her father used to put Nyquil in there because she was so high strung that they could not get her to go to bed. So in order to get high they gave her that so she would go to bed so she would go to sleep.

All Michael’s mother did while she was pregnant was got a fix. When Michael was little he would play and he would drift off like he forgot what he was doing. They have a really bad drug problem and do not want to get help or anything. Michael’s dad has chosen to do nothing with his life. All he wants to do is smoke drugs and likes multiple intimacies. He is now on the run and thinks that he can take is child with him to Mexico to hide from the cops.

Both of them leave their children with complete strangers. They think that because they are going over to get a fix, they can just leave their children with anyone. We get calls all the time to come and pick up Michael and Ariel because their mothers have left them and have not come back for a couple of days. So we go and pick them up and take them home with us or take them to their grandma and grandpa house. We call the Department of Economic Security and they do not do anything about this. The police in town do not do anything about it. What are the law and justice systems going to do? I know that they are not the only parents that leave their children like this.

This is why I believe that mothers are supposed to be moms not take advantage of their mothers and fathers and let their kids be raised by grandpa and grandma. Remember that going and getting a fix is not more important than your children. Your children should be more important and you should want to be there for them throughout their life.