Casey - Willcox, Arizona

One Nation under Dog

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united states of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under (GASP!). America has always been prone to rebellious behavior. Ever since we have become the glorious country that we are, there have always been people who speak out against the government for what they believe. Recently, atheists have spoken out against the government to take the word God out of the Pledge of Allegiance. I believe that taking the word “God” out of the pledge of allegiance is similar to taking the heart out of a living human and replacing it with a stone: a heavy, ugly stone that will only kill the human, and bring the “body” no benefit what so ever. What are we suppose to say instead of God? And to the republic, for which it stands, on nation, under…Dog?

I have never understood Atheism. A general rule of thumb I follow is to have something to believe in, no matter what you believe in: Allah or Buddha. For example, I do believe in Christianity. Although, I am not writing paper to persuade any one to follow my own spiritual beliefs, I am writing on behalf of the original founders of this country. They left the constitution, and pledge of allegiance open and universal for everybody to interpret how they see life. The original writers of the constitution did not include any biased points of view. They did not mention any specific God or religions to follow.

We are not forced to say the pledge of allegiance. We are not forced to do anything against our moral will. Our country does not hold us at gun point and force us to bow down to our “exalted” leader. This is what makes our country so great and wonderful to live in. Trying to take a word out of an original document for someone’s own personal benefit is just plain selfish. If saying the Pledge of Allegiance irks Atheists because it says God, leave the space that usually occupies the word God blank …It is, after all what Atheists believe in.