Acacia - Santa Monica, California
Themes: work

I believe in hard work; it’s essential to survival, to life. Why? Happiness, or at least satisfaction, is attained through hard work and that is a healthy state of mind.

To me, hard work means giving the task at hand my all – I need to put in 100% of my energy to do homework, sing, or even pay attention when I do not want to.

But to keep up this output of energy, I need motivation. One of my motivations is my parents. If I do well, they do not have to worry about me as much and can rely on me to be responsible. Less to worry about means less stress which means there is more to be pleased with. The end result is that I am also happy and do not receive some sort of scolding.

I also work hard to, at least, somehow improve myself. Freshman year, I was in Valkyries, an advanced beginners’ all girls choir. Because I really wanted to move up to Chorale, I put time and effort everyday in class into just knowing the music theory extremely well so I would be prepared for the written final and auditions. Everyday I would try to improve my understanding of music theory by reviewing scales and triads, learning how to figure out the key signature, practicing my rhythms through clapping-and-counting, struggling with sight-reading music, and making sense of IPA. When I did not understand something I would go home and ask my mother to clarify my confusion and help me develop my skills. I was pushed to step out of my comfort zone and perform a solo in front of the class.

On many occasions, I did not feel that I needed to keep working on things I thought I was exceptional in. And at times I wanted to stop trying because my efforts seemed in vain and unfruitful. But I told myself that even if I did not move on to Chorale, my musicianship skills would have improved by a lot and that improvement was the most important goal. In the end, my hard work and diligence paid off because I made it into Chorale.

Hard work is something people need to achieve any sort of short and long term goal. Not only does it come with external rewards, but also with self-fulfillment and self-improvement which then is accompanied by a sense of satisfaction and even joy. I believe that hard work is a worthwhile skill to have and develop.