Carly - Willcox, Arizona

A few months ago I found myself sitting in a cramped classroom taking a dreadful test known as the ACT. In this test I was quizzed on mathematics, science, grammar, and my writing abilities. These test subjects almost perfectly coincided with the classes I was taking at school with the exception of one. A person’s knowledge of history was not on the test. Why? Is history not important? I believe that in order to prevent the same mistakes from the past from reoccurring we must hold history at revere and learn as much as we can about this vital subject.

Naturally you might deem me a history buff. The fact is, however, I received a not so pleasant grade in my history class and can not remember names and dates for the life of me. I believe this not so that I can have this added on to the ACT and consequently have a better chance of succeeding at that test, but because though I can’t remember exact names and dates I can remember the Civil War. I can remember the Great Depression. I can remember the Holocaust. I turn on the news and I see headlines of genocide killings in Sudan, my very own country at war, and numerous areas of the map without food or even clean water. I have only to suspect that mankind does not remember these great atrocities. If they had would these same incidents be occurring? Wouldn’t there be more being done to stop them and prevent them? If history was looked at as having equal

importance to mathematics and science maybe we would have less war. Remember the thousands that died in Normandy or Gettysburg? Maybe we wouldn’t be spending as much on trivial items and saving our money for more necessary things than a sports car or flat screen TV. Remember the Great Depression that followed a lifestyle much like ours today? Maybe we would wake up and realize that as we go about our day innocent lives are being taken by the second in Darfur. Nobody is doing anything about the genocide killings there. Yet, you can not tell me you don’t remember the Holocaust.

I believe we need to have history pounded into our heads if it means the possibility of these acts stopping. We must learn from our past in order to achieve in the future. If you take with you nothing else from this essay, remember this “History has a nasty way of repeating itself.”