Alexandra - Willcox, Arizona

A Cause That No One Believes In

Today, there are 160,000 to 167,000 American soldiers that are in Iraq fighting for the rights and freedom of America as well as those of the Iraqi people. My dad is one of them. He isn’t stationed over there full time but every three months or so he has to deploy and help fight for what sixty-one percent of Americans don’t believe in. I believe that even if you don’t support the war, at least believe in our soldiers and believe in what they are attempting to do. Believe in their attempt to help make the world a better place to live in.

The reason I feel so strongly about our soldiers being over in Iraq is because I know what it truly feels like to see a loved one deploy knowing full and well that they may not come home. When I think about the possibility of my father not returning home I am not spiteful or bitter toward our government, I am proud. Proud that my father would risk his life to help make the world a better place. Americans need to learn to be proud of our men and women and not to complain and oppose the things they are fighting for.

Most people oppose the War in Iraq because they see the number of casualties and think that we are wasting our time and that people are dying for no good reason. It’s true that many people are dying in Iraq but their lives are not lost in vein. They are dying doing what they chose to be a part of. They are dying out of devotion and dedication to their country and to a cause. No one was forced to join the armed forces. People joined

out of pride and loyalty for their country. The families of lost soldiers and others who oppose the war must understand that when a person joins the military they know what the cost may be and they accept what their fate may become. They take pride in knowing that their life may be on the line for another. My father has always lived knowing that he may not come back but he does not shy from death. He always tells me that if you believe in something, fight for it no matter what anyone tells you, make your own choices and never regret what you choose.

The soldiers over seas need support even if you do not believe in the cause. They spend their lives without their families and do extraordinary things everyday. If they weren’t in Iraq what hate crimes or terrorist attacks would have been made? If our soldiers weren’t out fighting to keep us and others safe, then who would? Even if someone doesn’t believe in the war, they can believe in our soldiers, and believe in the good that they are trying to do.