Nicole - Austin, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

This I beleive

“There are fine things which you mean to do some day; under what you think will be more favorable circumstances. But the only time that is surely yours is the present; hence this is the time to speak the word of appreciation and sympathy, to do the generous deed, to forgive the fault of a thoughtless friend, to sacrifice self a little more for others. Today is the day in which to express your noblest qualities of mind and heart, to do at least one worthy thing which you have long postponed, and to use your God-given abilities for the enrichment of someone less fortunate. Today you can make your life – significant and worthwhile. The present is yours to do with as you will.”

~Grenville Kleiser

He slumbers peacefully and his eyelids flutter. Soft warm breaths come out in a slightly rhythmic pattern. Little fingers curl around a lock of hair, and the other hand curls around mine. These are moments I wish would last forever. Alas, they are only moments, moments to be timelessly imprinted in my mind. Sometimes late at night, as I observe my son sleeping, like many times before; I sit and realize that I will not always have these times, and everyday needs to be treasured.

I find Grenville’s words full of wisdom. He made a purpose to make his life worth living, and I strongly hold that concept to be true. Life is a precious gift given to us. We are truly a wonderful creation that was formed to leave legacies, and to fulfill prophesies. Life is too short to just live it comfortably. Sure, it is nice to breeze through each year, but what happened to purpose? We, as humans, need to develop a strong sense of morality and virtue. How selfish of someone not to give a little extra effort, and show another that you care.

Everyday is a chance to make a difference, whether it is by teaching a child, or giving your neighbor a helping hand. The beauty of being human is that we have to ability to love, cry, desire, and to feel so many other emotions. We are the only living creature that records our lives, and therefore shares our lives with each other. Isn’t that a miracle in itself? Even if we do not feel that we lived a meaningful life, our story may be told one hundred years later. What do you want your story to tell? I want mine to be that I was victorious, that I overcame adversity. I want children and grandchildren to laugh at funny times, and to miss who I was. It would be nice if I can contribute something to the medical society, and be a spiritual guidance for all who cross my path.

So now when I look at my son I see myself. Everyday I try to take the time to teach him, and show him what the essence of life is. We are always in a hurry, running from some place to the next. Cell phones are attached to our sides, and grande lattes in our hands. Stop and listen to the birds, smell the air, and look at what’s around you. Not everybody has the privilege to have choices. Tell yourself that you are going to do something special every time you walk out the door, for none of us know when our hourglass is going to run out of sand.