Bridger - Willcox, Arizona

No Hablo Español

Since September eleventh, national security has become a major, and at times, controversial issue. There is a massive, yet subtle, invasion occurring along the United States and Mexico border. Every year, from California to Texas, millions of illegal immigrants trek across the treacherous border. With such a large amount of people crossing each year, many illegal immigrants are not caught. I believe illegal immigration is a threat to our national security.

Since the founding of our country, illegal immigration has been occurring along the United States/Mexico border. A multitude of people with different nationalities are caught every year along the border. Mexicans are the most commonly caught, mainly because Mexico is adjacent to the United States, but people from all Latin and South American countries are being caught, including people from Africa, Asia, Europe, and Australia. Men, woman, and even children have been caught. Most come for a better life, while a few others come to America to smuggle drugs. Year after year, more and more people illegally cross into the U.S.

With so many people coming into our country illegally scot-free, it would be quite easy to smuggle in drugs, and even worse, biological weapons or weapons of mass destruction. With thousands of pounds of illegal drugs such as marijuana, crack, and cocaine making its way into America via, the border, I can only imagine how easy it would be to bring nuclear and biological warfare into our country. Instead of a backpack full of drugs, it could easily be a backpack full of anthrax.

Some people believe that the only people crossing the border illegally are coming for a better life or a better job. The cold hard fact is not all people come across for this reason. People of vast criminal records are apprehended each year. Their motives are not the best either. Many bring drugs, humans, and other illegal substances.

If the United States wants to avoid another 9/11, or any other terrorist attack, then something should be done to stop all the immigration occurring along the border. It’s only a matter of time until someone takes advantage of the situation on the border. Protecting our border is a matter of protecting our national security.