Rebecca - Santa Monica, California
Themes: family, purpose

Faith in Fate

My belief is in Fate.

I didn’t always believe in fate, not until the day I was told the story of how my parents met. I hadn’t really thought much of marriage and the way two people find each other, but their story seemed as if it could be nothing else but fate.

My mother was a very shy child?devoid of romance and confidence, and confronted (at a tender age) with the death of her mother. This death served as the catalyst for my mother’s future in England; and at 17 she hopped on a plane to England and thus began a 35 year relationship.

As I diligently begged my mother “again, again” to hear the story she smiled modestly and repeats my favorite part: “he was traveling across America and stayed with me in LA, he told me he loved me. I didn’t know what to say. He continued his travels and our time apart made me realize.” I became exponentially intrigued with the idea that people living on different sides of the world could somehow find each other. This sparked my belief.

By fate, I don’t mean a parochial belief in a pre-destined life. I hate to state the bold cliché that “everything happens for a reason” because that belief seems too ideal for me. I simply believe that some moments, not all, happen for a reason. This story, through my innocent eyes, was, and to this day, is undeniably fate.

As I matured, I began to wonder if everyone possesses this luck. My eyes were forced open as I met more people, became aware of the divorce rate, and calculated the huge percentage of my friends’ parents who are separated. I discovered that the deep respect and compatibility I was exposed to isn’t an inherent element in life. My faith in fate temporarily diminished. It somehow felt as if my prince on his white horse was riding farther and farther away. I didn’t understand why this happened to some, and not to others. Not only was my faith in fate diminishing, but my hope in finding someone like my mother was, as well. I now realize that not everyone can be as fortunate as my parents are, but their loving marriage still and will always feed my ability to believe.