arash - santa monica, California
Themes: humanism

I believe in a certain part of the human nature that has repeatedly reshaped all societies for the better. I believe in something that continuously motivates us to make positive changes and become even better. I believe in the human desire to improve.

Perhaps the most fundamental aspect that this desire for progress has influenced is knowledge. Everyday as we simultaneously learn from our past using history and learn newly developed facts from science, our knowledge grows vastly. It is the desire to improve ourselves combined with the understanding of the importance of knowledge that leads to billions of us to pursue multi year educational courses. It is our desire to progress that leads many of us to pursue PhD degrees, and many like me to undertake multiple AP courses in order gain the highest possible level of education in a short period of time.

Our strong desire to advance is also reflected in some seemingly less serious aspects of life. Some of the most successful animated TV shows and video games partly owe their high level of success to their embedded theme of advancement. I remember when I was nearly ten years old, I used to be infatuated with the Pokemon brand video games. I, alongside countless other seemingly hypnotized children, spent countless hours trying to level-up my creatures and evolve them into more powerful beings. Nearly all of the young gamers who today play Pokemon or one of the dozens of similar games spend most of their time finding ways to either improve some stats or to advance farther in the game. It is this same desire to progress that motivates us to improve our knowledge and technology that satisfies millions of gamers when they advance in their video games.

It amazes me that our technology has improved so drastically during the past hundred years. It also makes me proud when I think about the huge amount of knowledge that our society possesses and how much we’ve discovered during the past few years. To me the only thing more impressive than our current level of technology and knowledge is what motivates us to reach them. I not only believe in the human nature to progress, but also credit it for moving all mankind in a positive direction.