Daniel - Pacific Palisades, California

When my friends and I were in line to buy tickets for Anchorman, I will always remember the question my friend Sina asked: “what’s the military?” This was quickly responded with many “oh my god, are you serious” remarks, continuous laughter, and many muffs (a downward motion on the head with your knuckles). It was so funny. I can’t believe he didn’t know why people in the military got a dollar off. Of course he tried to redeem himself by saying he was sarcastic, but we wouldn’t let it slide. Two years later I still remember that day moment by moment, as if it happened yesterday.

I believe that laughter makes friendships stronger.

I have been friends with many people, but the special ones that I have been friends with for years, hanging out every day, are the ones that I laugh with. The best thing is that it is not forced laughter like in a movie or from a comedian; it is natural.

I have been very fortunate. In my crew I have been friends with the newest person, Sahab, for two years, and one of the original members of the crew, Samir, since kindergarten or about 11 years. I share a very close bond with my friends, closer than a brother or the A-Team.

We have had our ups and downs, mostly about girls, basketball, and the general drama. However, the one thing that keeps us flowing is the laughter we share with each other.

Whenever I see or hear about a hybrid car I laugh. This is because of my friend Jon or as we like to call him Dr. Smiles. He proposed the idea that anyone who drives a hybrid must have very strong calves. As we pondered why so, he attempted to prove to us that people in hybrids have to pedal their vehicle. A mixture of a motor and electric engine fueled my pedaling. We laughed so hard, I cried tears of laughter, because my other friend Andrew drives a hybrid and got very mad. I especially dropped dead laughing when I told him a hybrid overtook me while driving, and he said “damn, he must have been peddling harder than Armstrong,” a very cruel but funny joke.

If my friends and I were a house, and laughter represented nails, we would have a lot of nails on our house.

Laughing appeals to me more than arguing, smoking, or drinking. That’s why I rather hang out with my friends than go out to a boring kickback that no one will remember the next day.

I know for a fact that after our senior year of high school we will still be friends, even if we all go to different colleges. I will never forget all the laughter that I have shared with them or that anytime I hear the word or see the car “hybrid” a large smile appears on my face. Only a friend could do something like that.