iris - los angeles, California

I believe discrimination will never end. This is a pessimistic but realistic of life. We all wish for peace in the world, but we know it will not happen. My beliefs are the result of experience and the principles of life. Being darker, the being a woman brings all sorts of beautiful outcomes like; the awkward feeling that you get your when your are followed around the store with the excuse of “do you need help?”

One particular time, we had an school event at night, I was excited to go out with peers. There were about six of us, some needed to use the bathroom, so we went to a market to use their bathroom. The bathroom was located in the front, where a small isle separated it from the tables where the costumers eat. We waited in line for the restroom by the tables, because there was a blonde woman in front of us. I noticed all the costumers eyes were looking at us as soon as we entered the store. From the distance I saw a manager whispering to an employee. The man obeyed his orders and sent us to the bathrooms in the back. I wonder why they did not send the woman in front of us to the bathroom back there? She was in line first and deserved to go first. She just kept on waiting in line.

I knew that place we weren’t welcome as soon as we enter the store. Walking to the back of the store I felt the people’s vibes and stares, their widening eyes, was a scary feeling. The hatred and superiority was thick in the air. I thought it was awkward letting us come into the employee’s area. Leaving the bathroom, when I noticed that I was looking just at color, they had taught me how to, the workers were either Hispanic or black; serving a mostly white community. Leaving the bathroom overwhelmed trying not to let the colors get in my head. We were preceding the next store, when I hear a loud whisper from a black woman in a car saying to this other black woman “hurry up, hurry up”. While she was saying this, she was staring with fear and anger at us coming toward her grabbing her car door tight. The woman got in and they left in a hurry, as if they were running from us. The stares were never ending. We got to the place, ate, and have fun.

I had touch discrimination, and was ready to end the day. When I saw many big groups all around, the only difference was I did not see my same color. What a school night, what a lesson we had that day, the review lesson of colors. I believe that discrimination will never die because a human characteristic is one trying to be the best, and the blending of the colors will never mix well, is all black and white not grey.