Nicholas - Urbana, Ohio

If You Give Someone a Smile

If you give someone a smile their day can completely change. If you give someone a smile their week can completely change. If you give someone a smile their outlook on life can completely change.

There are so many negative aspects in life that we let them overpower us. We shelter ourselves from others and don’t allow them to try to help. Our emotional state of mind in this time can be crushed if someone doesn’t go out of their way to make a difference. The difference I am talking about isn’t a concept that will cost you a lot of time or money. All it takes is a little initiative, and sometimes creativity. Our smiles can make others smile. Our smiles can make someone happier, even if for only a moment, that moment brought them out of their state of mind to a better place.

Mother Teresa once said “we must smile at each other, smile at your wife, smile at your husband, smile at your children, smile at each other — it doesn’t matter who it is — and that will help you to grow up in greater love for each other.” Mother Teresa is one of the most notable “saintly” persons in recent times. She lived her life helping others. As she shows in her quote above she believes that smiling and showing happiness to others will create that sense of universal love. There is always the discussion of universal love by many great philosophers, but rarely do we see the implementation of it.

There is an old camp song that I recall by John Kaiser. The beginning goes something like this: “It only takes a spark to get a fire going. And soon all those around, can warm up in glowing. That’s how it is with God’s love, Once you’ve experienced it, you spread His love to everyone; You want to pass it on.” The song goes on to talk of God’s unconditional love and how we can show it such as him. This particular song I hold deeply in my own philosophy. We are able to spread the love given to us by God. We can spread it by a single smile.

I have lived my life to the fullest I have been able to. I have traveled with friends and also with family. I have been many places and seen many things. Along with those places and things, I have seen many people. I have seen both happy and sad faces across the globe. I have the gift, or punishment, of hidden internal emotion. Meaning I can mask my own problems and be happy for the elation of others. That is my single goal in life. I wish to make others happier than what they are currently. I can do it with a single smile, a single smile that is not necessarily provoked. I believe, if you give someone a smile, it will make the world a better place.