Michelle - Tukwila, Washington

Alicia is 28, with three rambunctious kids and a red minivan. Laura is 24, living far away in Bellingham, with her Masters in Teaching and works at Haggen Foods. And I’m 17, a junior in high school, living with the parents and with an expired Learners Permit. My sisters and I live completely different lives. They can vote and they can drink, and they pay taxes and they can get tattoos. And they show me how to have fun, they teach me how to put on makeup and they guide me through the journey of boys. My sisters and I have a strong bond. No fight, difference in interest, no job or kids or life experience or any amount of miles between us can break our friendship apart. I believe sisters are a girl’s best friends.

My sophomore year of high school, Laura moved back home so she can get her Masters in Teaching. It was the best year I have ever lived with her. We connected on more ways then I can imagine. I was her guinea pig when it came to lessons plans. “Take this test,” she would tell me, or, “if your teacher gave you this worksheet, would you fall asleep in class?” She was my in home teacher, the person I ran to when I had a question about yearbook layouts or the thirteen colonies. We became great shopping buddies, heading to Old Navy almost every other day, turning into each other’s Stacy and Clinton. Your best friend doesn’t have to be your age, or have the same lunch as you, just as long as you connect. This I believe.

There was a time in the fall of this year when I could no longer stand the walls of my house. I couldn’t handle having the same routine every day, and I needed an escape. Alicia was that escape. “Just come over to my house for the weekend, I won’t make you do anything, except change dirty diapers,” she told me. “I know what it’s like to need to leave that house, I was in your shoes not too long ago.” And that weekend was fantastic. My sister and I stayed up late that weekend, she tolerated my MTV shows and I read a lot of her parenting magazines, and changed a good amount of dirty diapers.

Amy Li once said, “Having a sister is like having a best friend you can’t get rid of. You know whatever you do, they’ll still be there.” Amy Li, you are a genius, because, that, I believe.