Kenneth - Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Themes: birth, children

I believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Perhaps that is shocking coming from someone who is nearly 40 years old, but I really have no choice. My oldest daughter Abigail, who just turned 6, has her first loose tooth. It is going to fall out any day.

I believe in the Tooth Fairy, at my age, because I want so badly for my daughter to be able to hold on to her innocence as long as she can. As I said, I really have no choice but to believe.

Abigail’s innocence is so precious to me. She knows nothing of disease and pain; she is ignorant to want and despair. Her life is Disney princesses and dance recitals.

Yes, I know that someday she, as we all must, will grow up and face the harsh realities of life. She will learn how we all dance on the edge of a razor, how princesses don’t always live happily ever after. Adult life has many joys too, of course. But, can’t it just wait a little longer?

If all I have to do is join her in a belief in the Tooth Fairy to protract her childhood just a little longer, I am all for it. I will do anything for her. I am certain of that.

I remember distinctly the moment she was born how my life changed so dramatically, so instantaneously. I remember, my wife and I were in the delivery room. I was helping my wife, supporting her, holding her, being with her in the moment, hour and after hour. Nothing in the world meant anything to me except my wife. She was the whole world. And then, Abigail appeared.

I watched as the doctor carried her from the delivery table to a small plastic table behind us to check her breathing and coloration. I turned my back on my wife and I marveled at what I saw. Here is this person that I helped make. Immediately, I felt the responsibility for her care, comfort and condition. But something else happened just then too.

After having spent three and a half hours intently concentrating on my wife, being with her in this most difficult and most joyous of times, I completely forgot she was in the room.

Abigail was my entire world. I am sure it was just an instant, but it felt like an eternity. I turned back to my wife and asked how she was and shared in the moment with her too. But, I can’t deny what happened.

So, it isn’t so unbelievable now that I would profess to believe in the Tooth Fairy if it means I can kept my precious daughter in her infancy just a little while longer. Soon enough it will all end. Soon enough I will be lifting her veil and kissing her cheek before I give her to some other man.

For now, I believe in the Tooth Fairy.