John - Lewisburg, Pennsylvania

This I believe that:

The principal thing distinguishing mankind from the other species on this planet is its capacity to reason, to experiment, to search for and deduce the truth.

Truth and its pursuit is mankind’s highest and most noble endeavor.

But truth is approached – NOT by wish-fulfilling fantasies, adherence to dogma, the solemn recitation of historical fables and myths, and/or the continual reinvigoration of interpersonal and intertribal animosities – but by observation, experimentation, rational analysis and interpretation in the quest of a coherent and consistent understanding of ourselves, our fellow species on this planet, its environment and the rest of the universe.

Mankind’s present course – determined principally by reliance on and adherence to wish-fulfilling fantasies, dogma, historical fables, self-serving myths and animosities – is fast making this planet unlivable for ourselves and very likely the majority of its other life forms.

If humanity does not abandon its self- and other-destructive ways and commit itself to co-exist with its own, and the other, life forms on this planet – if humanity does not stop the destruction of the planetary biosphere in the name of one or another small segment of life on this planet, a bio-extinction of unparalleled extent is inevitable.

Avoidance of and recovery from imminent biological, environmental, social, political and economic catastrophe is achievable if – and only if – our species faces squarely and forthrightly the folly of its last hundreds of millennia of environmental, social, political and economic ‘development’.

Then rationally seeks and experientially determines the truths of what is necessary to live equitably and harmoniously with the entire animate and inanimate environment with whom we share this planet, our own species included.

And acts accordingly.

But there is precious little time to spare.