Noah - Ashland, Virginia
Themes: family, pleasure

Four hundred thirty calories in one serving. Only potatoes, mashed potatoes smothered in butter make it worth it. Yes, I believe in the power of potatoes.

Potatoes can be the strongest link in some relationships. For holidays, I go to Giles County near Blacksburg, a solemn little place. My family owns a small house by the interstate. Every day I go down to Sinking Creek to fish. After a while I go for some good old boiled potatoes. Sitting at my great aunt’s and uncle’s counter, I feel like a kid in a candy shop except instead of candy there are potatoes. Potatoes boing in the pot. The aroma is unbearable. I sit until the potatoes are ready, and the they are gone in one minute. A little butter, a little salt and voila! they are devoured. Then again, and again, and again. Finally, I am so stuffed that I can’t eat one more bite. So, potatoes bring my family together. You see the rest of my family also lives in the South and potatoes are a big dish.

Think of people who relied on potatoes. For instance, think of the Irish. They depended on potatoes. The Irish lived off of them! During the potato famine, the potato crop was infected. And well… the potatoes died and so the Irish died. About 3 million in 3 years!!! Potatoes gave them life. They only had potatoes and then boom they were gone. And think of potato powered clocks! That’s real potato power.

Anyway, back to my family. At the table we share conversations and eat potatoes… a lot of potatoes. If there is a food I believe in, it is potatoes. They are a warm-hearted carbohydrate.