Katie - Bellevue, Washington
Themes: hope

This I believe, that everyone has hope, even if you don’t know what it is, or hate your life.

As I was a young child I had a very fun and loving life. My life was full of happiness and joy with every step I took was a positive one, even if it means falling off a bike with no training wheels for the first time. I remember all the laughter I shared with my friends and school and with my family at home. If I made a mistake, it was ok; I just tried over again hoping for it to work out better. Those small mistakes strengthened me, as a person, knowing that it was ok to try again. When I got older though, and had to leave all my close friends and such, it became harder for me to look into those feelings as much.

Most of us have good friends, but some have best friends. They help us by sharing their own difficulties and feelings and they can help us through every bit of our hard times. When we talk for a long time, we can usually work things out and in a way we can be “healed.” As well as letting each other know that we aren’t alone.

I’ve gone through many hard times when I got older and saw what “life” really meant. To me, it means hard struggles that can’t always be fixed. But, no matter what, there is hope. Hope in something better will come out of it. I saw hope and enlightenment in the people who I know and cared for. They created hope for me as well. Every little un-positive thing that had happened to me in life, and that brought me down, I looked for hope in my friends and close ones.

One day, I found out that my one of my closest cousins to me died. I thought my parents were kidding when they told me what had happened. It took me about an hour or so to actually realize that they weren’t kidding, that this was real. I went spiraling down. This was one of the hardest things that had ever happened to me. Knowing that my 16 year old cousin at the time; died. The next day at school I was just really depressed and just didn’t want any communication with anyone. My best friend came up to me and I told her what had happened. She was there by my side till she got a smile out of me. That best friend of mine gave me hope for something better to come out of the next day, and my life. She opened my eyes that day that I’m the one that is alive, and I should be happy for every minute of my life.

We all have hope. Most of the time, we don’t know where it comes from, or what it feels like. But what I know is that it’s inside of you, even if you say that you don’t have hope, you do. It’s the thing that keeps you going. If there was no hope in life, then you’d probably be isolated because you have nothing to look forward to.