Magdalena - Ridgewood, New York

We live in the 21st century. In today’s world, education is very important. But what could we do without it? What would our lives look like? Throughout history, there are many examples which show us that education is very important. I believe that education lets us ask questions and thanks to it, it’s hard to manipulate us.

I believe that people without education could be easily brain washed and used in a brutal way. Spending a lot of time reading books about history has taught me many things. Also it lets me point out one thing. Uneducated people are easy to manipulate and use. In 1979, people were brain in Iran. There were many educated people who saw that problem. Nevertheless, there were not enough people who had education to expose the issue. Also many of them who tried to stop that process of manipulation got killed. That event reached a very brutal point in Iran during the war with Iraq. The Iranian government was taking uneducated young boys and making them believe in unimaginable things. Mostly those boys were around 14 years old. Soldiers and government people were telling them that being in a war is something wonderful, that they will receive the “key to heaven”. Then they got plastic keys which the boys had to put around their necks. Also they were told to them life in “heaven” is better, that it’s more wonderful than Disneyland, that in heaven there are thousand of naked girls waiting for them. Many of the uneducated boys believed in those things and then thousands of them got killed or stepped on mines. Did the plastic keys help even one boy get naked girls or go to heaven? That’s not a funny story that was told just to uneducated boys. Think dear reader for a minute. Why did the government’s people tell it just to uneducated people? Would you think that it was easy to make them believe in something that sound strange? The question here which many of us could ask is why? May be because making someone believe in something impossible is easier to do with someone who does not have education and does not ask questions. That death of many people in Iran made me just believe more that education is very important. Lack of education brings us to moments in which many people die just because of sowed viciousness. This is not necessary. That’s why think about it twice before you will say to yourself “ I don’t need an education”. Someday you could be brain washed and then repent the things which you would have done. By reading many diaries and documents from that time I fortify my belief.

In conclusion my belief in education is very established. By looking at historical events we can see that uneducated people are easily brain – washed. Also the most powerful weapon which we could have is control of people. The main point here is that by making people believe something, we could cause horrible things like the death of many people . Many of us might ask, but we don’t know if what teachers tell us is true? Well that’s why education keeps our eyes opened and gives us the power of asking questions.