Jordan - San Diego, California

I believe in living each day to the fullest.

I believe that if we live each day to the fullest we will have happier fuller lives.

Life is not easy. Everyone knows that, from the little ant that scurries around in hopes of feeding his family, to the CEO of some big corporation that has to worry about the harsh competition in the world.

It’s hard. Being a human is seriously one of the hardest things that God could’ve given us. Being human allows people to have pain, and sadness, and anger. But being human also allows us to be happy, and to laugh, and to cry ( in the good sense of the word).

My mom has this quote taped to her dresser, so she can be reminded of why things are the way they are. It reads; “God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, nor sun without rain, but he did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears and light for the way.” I believe in this quote, I fully believe that life is not easy, and it is the way we cope with the pain and sorrow, that truly determine our happiness in life.

About 12 years ago, I lost my aunt. Granted I was only two, but I still remember her. Pictures show memories what I only wish I could remember. She had a daughter my age, and a husband, a mom, a brother, a sister and a whole family beside her. But she couldn’t deal with it. She committed suicide by driving away from home, and leaving herself to starve. The only justification we have, is that she didn’t think she was loved; she couldn’t deal with her life.

My family and I use her as an inspiration, someone who suffered, to show us how lucky we really are. It only takes less than a minute for you or someone else to take your life. And then it’s over. Your one chance in this lifetime is gone. Life is short, and you are the only one who can make the decisions on how to run it. It is the people who figure out how to handle the pain and the sorrow that are graced with endless days of happiness and joy.

Around a year and a half ago, my dad passed away. My world was rocked, so to speak. All the sudden, I didn’t know how to go on. How was I to follow his words of guidance, Carpe Diem, if I didn’t have any money to eat, or to do the things I loved to do? I was scared, and depressed and sad. But life pressed on, it didn’t stop when my dad died, it went on, and on, and on. We worked to try to forget what happened, and acted like he was gone on some vacation. After awhile we were left to confront the death of my dad.

A lot of people helped us. They brought over hundreds of casseroles and really any kind of pot meal you can imagine. We were given money so we could get back on our feet and start the game of life again. They were what really helped us to handle our grief and despair. Without them, I don’t know how we would have gone on, they were our guardian angels.

We started going to church more. And getting involved in anything really that involved our church. We were there every Sunday for service, and pretty soon, everyone knew who we were. My mom was instated as Head of Worship and Music, and I got involved with helping the younger kids. Seeing how their eyes are opened, to God’s words has made me realize how lucky am. It made me realize that living each day to the fullest, wasn’t as hard as it is thought to be. It is really just doing what you love to do, and at the end of the day, if you did what you loved you would be happy. God is what helps me and my mom and my family to embrace Carpe Diem. Because we know that without him, we wouldn’t be able to enjoy life to the fullest.

My dad passed away during a bicycling accident. He was a cycling fanatic. He was doing what he loved, and we all know that when he took that fatal tumble, God was right there holding his hand, telling him it’s all right.

I believe in Carpe Diem.

I believe in living each day to the fullest, by doing things I love to do.