Lorinda - San Antonio, Texas

Dearest Amore –

If you are receiving this email from me, it’s because I believe you will take a few minutes to indulge me. It’s ok if you close this now, I am still going to love you. (Now if that doesn’t make you feel guilty……? :-) )

I ask you to consider how blessed we are. We are blessed to be born where we were, to live in Texas, USA, and to have good jobs and lead lives that allow us to not just to exist but to enjoy life with our friends, significant others, and families. That is not to say we do not find our lives challenging, hard, sad or even heartbreaking at times. However, I believe I can say with great confidence that living where we do – at this time and this place – rich or poor, gay or straight, Christian, Jew, Muslim, Agnostic, Atheist, Single or in a Family Unit, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Liberal, Independent, Cat Person, or Dog Person – whatever labels we give ourselves – we believe that we have the right to self determination, freedom, and the right to live without fear – be it from our government or our neighbors. We believe in the right to be Happy, Fulfilled, and Productive people in this world. We all hope to look back as we are on our death bed to a productive life well lived, filled with family and friends who we have loved and loved us. If we are religious, we hope that God will look upon the good we did and forgive us the hurt we caused.

The older I have become, (and yes I will be 47 years old on June 9. a number my brain does not know how to process yet ?) – the more I have learned to see how Our World is CONNECTED – and how MUCH it matters that we know and understand not ONLY what goes on next door and in our neighborhoods and Cities, but the REST of the Planet Earth as well.

I would say to you, as if you did not already know – that there are TOO many places on this Planet Earth and OUR Own Hometowns where the blessings we have – not only do NOT exist but have governments, militias, gangs, and evil people who are so bent in their souls and beings that they understand nothing but death and destruction. Their “happiness” depends on the misery and control of others. And because they have guns or physical strength, or power, and rule by fear – too often they are winning – If you can call it that…

So, why I am writing this to you? Well, because it is my birthday week and I have heard one Darfur story too many – because I listen to National Public Radio and hear every day the troubles and sadness elsewhere on Planet Earth – because in college I was taught about Liberation Theology – because I live in San Antonio and am from the Rio Grande Valley – because I am a Second Generation American – because I believe in “Do Unto Others as You Would Have Done unto You” and “Love One Another As I Have Loved You” – because “I Have A Dream” that I believe in – because in THIS Century and THIS Time and THIS Country/World – with all the Knowledge, Education, Technology, and Potential we have – no human being no matter where they live should be without clean water, food, shelter, and the right to live and worship without fear so that they may pursue their lives and fight the injustices they see around them – because I BELIEVE that People of Good Will CANNOT and WILL NOT be SILENT in the face of evil and injustice – because the People of Planet Earth are part of My Extended Family and when they suffer I do NOT have the luxury of NOT caring – because we must teach EACH OTHER and the children in our lives BY OUR EXAMPLE to care about those less fortunate than they are – because WE must help THEM and OURselves see that it is not just about “US”…

My friend, I am attaching some links to this email. They might be some you are familiar with and have visited. They might be new to you. The favor I am asking, the challenge I am issuing to you is this – PARTICIPATE – ACT – PRAY – WRITE – DO SOMETHING – DO ANYTHING – use the links below or choose a cause that excites YOU and your FAMILY. Give Time, Give Treasure, Give of Yourself – in whatever way you can. DO what You Can – it DOES matter. Write your Congressman or Senator on subjects that matter to you and LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU CARE ABOUT. Become educated about the city you live in, the state you live in, the world you live in – JUST CARE – VOTE !!! – look outside your comfortable world and understand just how LUCKY you are and there but for the Grace of God (or chance) Go I/You….We could have been born in Darfur, Iraq, Somalia, a Colonia in the Valley, a brothel in Thailand…To whom much is given, much is expected….

I know that Some of you ALREADY do your Fair Share and More ! I Celebrate your EXAMPLE to the rest of us and the people whose lives you touch – I would ask that you KEEP on encouraging and challenging Others to do what they can…

Thanks for reading this far – YOU just Gave Me the best Birthday Present I could ask for. I Pray for Blessings on You and all those You Care for. I pray that if we cannot save the world, we will do what we can for the corner of it we are responsible for – just remember that corner may be / Is a lot bigger than we think.

I send my love and celebrate all of you – Lori.

June 7, 2007

http://eyesondarfur.org/index.html – Eyes on Darfur

http://www.amnestyusa.org/ – Amnesty International

http://one.org/ – One.org

http://www.safoodbank.org/ – San Antonio Food Bank

http://www.fvps.org/ – San Antonio Battered Women’s Shelter