Larry - St. David, Arizona
Themes: injustice

I believe that power can bring corruption to even the most strong willed of people. Many times people are given the opportunity to receive a position of power that will make a difference in the lives of thousands of people. One example was Joseph Stalin. He grew up as a smaller, teased child that did not receive much attention. When he came into power, he was a genius in the field of leadership, but was quite insane. He cared only about himself, and was obsessed about power. Adolf Hitler too wrote a book Mein Kampf, in which he stated how he was going to overthrow the government in Germany. How he was going to try to take over the world in the point of a white supremist group.

So why then, did no one try to stop him after he had written the book? The truth of the matter is that people of Germany didn’t really care much about what he believed. They thought that he would be a better leader than what they currently had. Germany wanted someone who was willing to take care of the country in their dire state. So, as a result, he came into power as the F-hrer of Germany. He may have been one of the most unorthodox leaders in the history of the world, but he was still one of the best examples of how power can corrupt anyone. He had a plan set directly on how he would run the government, but was persuaded to do otherwise by the fact that he could literally do whatever he wanted, and no one would question his leadership.

Benito Mussolini, another world leader had a very familiar thing happen to him. He may not have had as much of a corruption that the others had, but he too fell to the additional power that he received. He lived a confined life in the beginning just has Hitler and Stalin, but had experience much more leadership roles during his life not all at once. He had much more preparation throughout his life for the position that he would fill.

Today, there are leaders who take such advantages when they come into a position of power. One such example was Saddam Hussein. He was not elected to his position of leadership. It was merely taken for him from others who had been there before. When he took power, he used fear to drive the hearts of those in his country. People were sentenced to death as an example to any who might try to act against him.

In conclusion, I believe that giving the wrong people power is a bad decision. We see through the actions of Stalin, Hitler, and Mussolini that people can do horrible things with power because they were not prepared for the repercussions that would follow. They had not received sufficient training to be uncorrupted by the power they would receive. Saddam Hussein is a more modern example of how can destroy people.