Chelsea - Honolulu, Hawaii

Team Kiyabu

Out of the three hundred and sixty five days of the year there, are only two days that I know for certain my family will all be together: Christmas Day and Super Bowl Sunday. Sports keep our family together. It’s mixed into our blood flow that pumps through our Kiyabu veins. Since I was born I have been raised a sports fanatic and life has taught me that this is the magic that brings our family home. I believe in The Super Bowl and the power that it has to bring my family together.

My siblings are a lot older than I am, they have started their own families, and they are spread out over the island of Oahu. Because of this it is hard to find time when we can all be together. However, on Super Bowl Sunday we let the world continue without us as we spend the afternoon together. As we sit around the living room together laughing and cheering. The feeling of family is so immense. I see my dad sitting in his “dad chair” while my mom is sitting on the couch next to my aunty. I’m sitting in the floor with my cousins we’re eating chips and my mom’s calm dip. Our team scores a touchdown and everyone is standing throwing high fives and cheering. I can’t help but smile because I know this is what family is about and I know that this is what home should feel like.

I will be heading off to college in August and I don’t know where I will be on that first Sunday of February. The one thing I know for sure is that I will be near a television with my cell phone in my hand ready to “phone home” the second half time starts. This will be the perfect opportunity to call because I know everyone will be at my house. I’ll be able to talk to my parents, my brothers, my sisters, and everyone else that finds their way to our house. I learned this from my brother who, at the moment, is behind bars, but every year without fail he calls during the Super Bowl because he knows his fifteen minutes will be filled with love that isn’t we don’t express often enough.

Football is the cement holding our family foundation together. No matter what happens during the year, our family will always come together to watch the best teams of the AFL and NFL play for everlasting glory. I believe in the power the Super Bowl has over my family because it has never let me down. Every year for an entire afternoon my family forgets that there is a world out there. All that matters is being together and getting the next down.