David - Los Gatos, California
Themes: carpe diem, death

The words “Live each day as if it was your last” are often heard throughout life, but do we ever think about what it truly means? I do. I find those words some of the most powerful that this world contains. Many people in this world take day-to-day life for granted, me included. We all do it. We worry about what that group in the corner over there is saying about my outfit, if that girl sitting on that bench thinks my hair looks good today. I know that I and many other people in this world spend a majority of our time worrying so much about what people think about us that we get so wrapped up in it, to the point where we do not stop and smell the roses or take time to enjoy the wonderful things this world entitles us to. We let life pass us by so fast, that it is over before we even could do a double-take. What it comes down to is this.

No one in this entire world knows when they are going to die. It could be tomorrow, it could be the next day, week, year, or even decade. All we know is that it may very well likely come when it is least expected. So my question is this: What would you do today, if you knew that you would die tomorrow? That question can have as many different answers as there are people on this planet, but it is a good question for us to think about as we live our lives caring about all the material things within it. If the world would live everyday without a care about who is looking at them weird or who dislikes them for being themselves, life would be so much more enjoyable, and much less depressing.

The race is long. Sometimes we are ahead, sometimes we are behind, but in the end, it is only with ourselves. For this reason, life is something that should not be taken for granted. It should not be wasted on caring more about everyone else than we do ourselves, because if I was to waste my time minding what everyone thought about me, my life would have no point. Caring so much about what other people think is what gives them power over our lives.

This is what brings me back to the topic of, “Live everyday as if it was your last.” I cannot wait for the day when I am able to reform myself in a way, that I do not care about anyone else’s opinion about me, and I can fully commit to being non-conformist and just live my life the way that I would like to. I truly envy anyone who has already accomplished this fully. We need to do crazy things, laugh out loud, dance like no one’s watching, sing as if no one can hear you, and love hard, because we will never know when tomorrow is not coming.