A Little Boy’s Dream

James - North Bennington, Vermont

Ever since I was little, I always wanted to become a fireman. When I would dress up for Halloween, I would dress as a firefighter. When my dad drove fast on the back roads, I would pretend that I was riding in a fire truck. I would dream of the apple red colored fire trucks pulling out of the station with their lights glowing as bright as the Northern Lights with their sirens screeching so loud that people 200 feet down the road would have to plug their ears until the trucks went by. Fire trucks responding to fires are like horses that, after several months, are let out to run around. Now they are able to show their splendor. How could something with as much beauty and intricacy as a fire engine, be locked up in that old garage for such a long time?

As I got older, I tried to make this dream a reality. I remember asking one of my friends whose dad was the chief of the Shaftsbury Fire Department if I could join. She told me I could join, but that I would have to get a ride from my parents or another firefighter in order to respond to a fire. When I went home and asked my parents, they told me that I could not join because they did not want to bring me to fires. I was devastated!

My whole life my parents told me to follow my dreams. My mom used to tell me no matter what I wanted to do she would support me. However, this time she did not!

As I turned sixteen years old, I received my license. The Thursday after my sixteenth birthday, I became a junior firefighter. Now I can ride on that horse that comes out to run around after several months in hiding. I am riding in that apple colored truck with the northern lights circulating atop its crest. I hear that screeching siren pulsating through the air, and feel that wind brush against my face as I squeeze into the uniform I use to dream of when I was younger. Now I am a fireman! I followed my dreams with all my heart. If you follow your dreams, they will become reality. This is what I believe.