Cora - El Monte, California
Themes: purpose

I believe that everything happens for a reason and a person should accept and learn from the consequence of each incident. I am not a very religious person. I do not believe that there is a single, almighty God. However I do think that fate exists. Even though it took me a while to realize that I believed there is a reason for every event in my life, I now analyze the events in my life. While it may seem like a case of extreme paranoia to some, I see it as guide to the choices in my life. Whether an event in my life was positive or negative, I took whatever happened, accepted the outcome, and learned to move forward.

During the summer before my junior year I decided to take the graphic design class offered by the ROP program. I enjoyed playing around with graphic programs and believed that the class would help me become more skilled in that area. I loved working on the different programs and learning new techniques such as vectoring. The instructor, who was also the school’s yearbook advisor, encouraged me to join yearbook in the fall and become part of the graphic design team. Since I wanted to involve myself in extracurricular activities and enjoyed the ROP class, I decided to join the staff. I was excited to work with the advisor in designing the yearbook but he ended up leaving for a higher position at another school.

Just when I became comfortable with the structure of the yearbook staff, the main support and advocate for the book, left. When fall came, yearbook productions had a new teacher and I learn to work with her and loved every moment I had as a member of the staff. As I look back I remember dreading the idea of someone new teaching the class. I disliked the change but I realized that getting a new advisor for the book provided a new chapter to my life story. Without taking the class and then having to work with a new advisor I would have never met the people I love and care about. Yearbook became a big part of my life and many of my closest friends are part of the staff. It is one specific example but the reason for joining yearbook and its changing leadership is that I unknowingly opened my life to amazing people and experiences I would cherish forever.