Heather - Greenwich, Connecticut
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that everyone needs to learn to live in the moment by not spending too much time thinking about the past or imagining the future.

Of course it’s not a bad idea for people to dream of what they could be and where they could go in life, or recall all those memories of them playing with friends, but it’s when the negatives come into play where people waste life thinking about. What I’m trying to say is that remembering the time you stole from someone or the time that you may truly regret, will only end up affecting you in the future.

I can’t personally say that I haven’t had my share of living too much in the past or the future, but I certainly know that it doesn’t pay off. When I was a few years younger, and didn’t really understand how easily you could miss the best parts of your life by thinking too much about what happened or what was about to happen, I realized that it just made everything worse.

Although this could be personal, I’m willing to share my experience in order to help the people that may be struggling with the same problem. Everyone knows that relationships come and go throughout your life, and unfortunately for me, I found myself trying to make difficult decisions. I had been with a certain person for about six months, when we both decided that it was best to go our separate ways, but this didn’t last long. I felt that what I had decided wasn’t really what I wanted so we started to become closer again, until I messed up and really showed that I wasn’t willing to start up our relationship again. I found myself having to choose between being with someone or being single, and throughout the few months what I was trying to figure everything out, I was really thinking about the past and the future. How long was our relationship going to last this time? Is this what I really want after what he have already been through?

My mind was racing. The people around me were constantly telling me that spending too much time worrying about regrets and trying to make everyone happy wasn’t helping. I realized how much I was missing out on, and I finally made a decision. So for those of you who find yourself thinking about the past or the future, snap out of it! You only live once, and by living in the moment, you don’t have to waste your time on anything.