Charlotte - Hanover, New Hampshire

Why Mom’s Are Cool

I believe that my mother knows best. Because my mother was a girl once too, and almost everything that has happened to me happened to her. As a thirteen-year-old girl this doesn’t sound right and it doesn’t sound ‘cool’. And you know what? It probably isn’t, and it’s not something I would ever voice to the popular crowd at school. But it’s true and my mom has and will be there for a lot longer than my popularity will. So mom, this essay is for you.

Brush your teeth. Really Mom, why would I want to be brushing my teeth when I could be fast asleep, cuddled up in my nice warm bed? Last week I realized something. There is a reason you want me to brush my teeth. What kind of person would I look like walking around town with no teeth? Trying to eat in a fancy restaurant and having to order only soup and mashed potatoes? I would look like the kind of person who lightly rubbed their teeth with a brush and water for about ten seconds each night just to fool their mom into letting them go back to bed. My toothbrush and I will be spending some quality time together now.

Don’t chew with your mouth open. It sounds disgusting, it looks disgusting and other people really don’t like it. But I didn’t understand that until I ate dinner with a certain person. There she was, chomping away on the other side of the table just totally oblivious to the fact the smacking of her lips reminded me of the times when we helped granddad feed the farm animals. Needless to say she has never had a second dinner date. And because I experienced this first hand I am grateful that you broke me of that habit.

Don’t yes me. Well Mom, what do you want me to say? You say, “Lottie clean up your room.” I say, “No mom?” This made absolutely no sense to me for about 12 years. But I get it. You don’t want me to keep staring at the computer screen while on IM with my friends. You want me to sign off and go and tackle those dust bunnies. It’s as simple as that.

I believe that knowing how to find the hypotenuse of a right triangle is important if you are going to be a mathematician, how to write if you want to be an author. But there is nothing I will use as much as what my mother has taught me.

So Mom, I know I haven’t been the best daughter and by no means am I anywhere close to being perfect. But I just wanted to let you know, I get it. And I believe there is a reason you tell me all these little tid-bits of advice. And I believe that sometime soon, maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next week and maybe not even next year, they will all add up. This I believe.