Amber - Toronto, Canada

Love Can Conquer All

I remember that even as a young girl I had this overwhelming sense of love. I was left as a baby but I was still full of love. I was more sensitive and when I fell in love I fell hard. I remember the first boy I was interested in. He was older and a member of our church group. Being brought up by my grandparents I lived a sheltered life and living in the country attributed to that. My grandparents didn’t want me to see boys. I was terribly embarrassed one night as this young man was chased away.

I left my grandparents and came to Toronto to meet my parents. As the years went on I found myself falling in love easily and with different men. Most of these relationships were one sided and unfulfilling. I found myself giving everything I had and giving my body and soul to these men only to have my heart broken. There were times when I wondered what I was doing wrong? How could treat me with such disrespect? I didn’t understand that I was letting them treat me that way.

As the years went on I was in another unhealthy relationship with an abusive man. I had become pregnant with his child. We had been together for a couple of years and I thought that he would be happy to have a baby. I couldn’t have been more wrong. He told me he didn’t want to raise a baby and that I should have an abortion! My heart broke into a million pieces. I knew what I had to do. I told him that I was keeping the baby with or without him. I knew I loved my baby even then.

I had my baby and he packed a bag and walked out. My heart was broken but this time I had another life to take care of. My son became my focus. I wanted to raise him with love. I didn’t think that I would meet anyone else. That all changed when I attended a party my neighbor was throwing. I was immediately drawn to a handsome young man. We had a chance to talk and he was funny and caring, all the things I was hoping to find.

I dared not think that this could be lasting relationship. It was getting late and I went home. I heard a knock on my door and there he stood. The relationship grew and he moved in with me. He loved my son like his own. We had problems and arguments like any couple but we got through it. We have been together fourteen years and still growing and learning. We share our love with our little tabby and a dog from our local pound.

I should be bitter but I still believe love can conquer all. This world would be a better place if we could all just open our hearts.