Sadaya - Cary, North Carolina

Sadaya Aiken

Do you feel that in today’s society single parent households can receive the same treatment as a two parent households? I believe that choosing to write about single parents is something that I am passionate about. Being a single parent and their capability they have to raise their children sometimes can be difficult. Making sure they spend enough time with them and also take care of their responsibilities is based off of personal experience. I believe without a doubt that individuals who were raised in a single family household can be just as successful if not beyond as a person whom was raised in a two parent home. I was raised for only a small portion of my life with my father in the home. After traveling across the United States due to my father being in the military, my parents finally decided to get a divorce and this is where it all began.

At the age of twelve my mother, four siblings, and I moved back to North Carolina with no clothes, no furniture and us just having each other. My mom was determined to not give up. Each time we moved from state to state we were not allowed to bring anything but ourselves. We always had the disadvantage of having to start over with purchasing new things. My mother would work several jobs and still make sure she gave us some of her time even if she worked nightshifts while we were sleep. My mother cooked, cleaned and provided us with proper care. I was the middle child out of five. My oldest brother had a lot of responsibilities also but my mother also, monitored how much she allowed him, to do. She felt strongly about him losing his childhood years. After moving in with my grandmother for a short period of time, my grandmother began to complain about us being there. My mother decided to try and put us in a house. In a four week time period we were able to move out again and live on our own. Even though my mother was struggling and juggling to manage all of her bills.

My siblings and I were very athletic and involved in the school. My mother managed to make it to all of our games and award ceremonies. There was never a moment in my life where I felt like my mother did not exist. She always made an impact.

Shortly after we moved into the new home, which was a three bedroom, my mother lost her job. I felt guilty that my mother lost her job because her boss stated that she had missed too many days due to her traveling to attend in our athletic events. Every job my mother had she stated to her supervisor that she had five children who are everything she has and when it comes to her losing her job or being involved in her children lives she will just have to find another job.

My mother was very independent and she rarely attempted to borrow things from anyone including neighbors, friends nor family. She was very determined to keep us happy and allow us to enjoy life. An outsider looking in would not be able to notice the struggles my family and I were going through. My mother even tried to make sure we did not notice what she was going through. I did not realize until I got older all the struggles including lights getting turned off, evictions, repossession of furniture and cars, and us being in debt.

Here is how things have turned out. My oldest brother is currently a professional athlete. My second to the oldest brother is a manager for a restaurant. I am currently a senior at a University. Finally my two younger siblings are in middle and high school and they are very involved academically and athletically. My mother currently owns her own group home facility dealing with adolescents with behavior problems. Modeling my mother’s drive to be independent and strive for being successful has shaped me into the woman I am today. I feel that no matter who you are and what you believe in you should never give up, even at your weakest point. I believe that raising five children alone and being active in their life is definitely a full time job. I believe that my mother is truly my inspiration and the reason why I will continue to strive for all my goals no matter what it takes. To this day I commend my mother for sacrificing and managing to raise my four brothers and me in success by herself.