Sean - Tulsa, Oklahoma

Most children, at a young age, learn about a magical, cheerful old man, who quietly sneaks into everyone’s home, via chimney, at a late hour on a certain evening in December, to place gifts under a tree for people to unwrap and enjoy the following morning. This man’s name is none other than Santa Claus, or Kris Kringle. Some even like to call him Ol’ Saint Nick. Of course, this mythical man doesn’t survive very long in the minds of most children, because once parents believe that their children are old enough to take the news that Santa Claus isn’t real ,without going under serious emotional damage, they break the news. This is a great and disappointing shock to most children, sometimes bringing them to tears, or at least to the brink of tears, which is not in the least surprising. These kids have, after all, just come to the realization that the one possibility of magic in the world is now gone. I remember what it was like for me. It was like losing your biggest hero. Then again, it wasn’t like losing your biggest hero; it was losing your biggest hero. This can be devastating to a child, or to anyone for that matter. Everyone needs to believe in someone or something magical. It keeps you from ever fully leaving your childhood behind. A thirty year old without a little magic in his or her life is simply an adult, while a thirty year old with magic is a creative and imaginative, yet responsible, grown-up.

I, unlike most people at this age, believe in Santa Claus. Not the man, but what the man stands for. I don’t mean the spirit of Christmas, or the spirit of giving, or any other spirit you can think of. I’m talking about how he spurs your imagination. If Santa Claus is real, if it’s possible for reindeer to fly, or for a two hundred and twenty-seven pound man to fit down a chimney, then what else is possible? Perhaps a magical fairy does come at night to exchange a few quarters for a child’s tooth. Beliefs such as these allow you to relive your childhood fantasies. They let you enter the world of your imagination. This is a world that you and only you have the ability to explore.

Not having a good imagination can be harmful to a person. It gets rid of any creativity and child-like qualities a person still has. Because I believe in Santa Claus, I have more imagination then most people I know. This permits ideas and creative thoughts to form in my head, allowing stories to flow out onto paper, stories no one else could have thought up, stories that if I hadn’t created them, who knows if they would ever had been brought into the world.

I believe in imagination. I believe in the impossible. I believe in Santa Claus. This I believe.