Jessica - San Deigo, California

What do I believe in? I believe in thinking that the person who I was born to be is good enough for the world. I believe in self acceptance. I believe that people who try to change themselves to fit in with the rest of the world are idiots. I believe that when you are lucky to have been given a life, you should be thankful and not insult your parents by trying to change your self appearance.

When a person does not like who they are because they don’t look like the rest of the world they try to change their self appearance. This begins to happen mostly in high school, this is when all the cliques begin and if you don’t look like everyone else you get dismissed by all the cliques so you change yourself to fit in. When you begin to change your self appearance your parents take it as an insult to them because they think that you don’t like whom they raised you to be. I began to realize that I was changing myself just because I wanted to fit in with the popular people. I realize that if your friends do not like you for who you are you have got to find new friends because your real friends would accept you for the person you are.

When I began high school I realized that I didn’t dress like all the other people in high school so I decided that if I change my self appearance I would get more friends which I believe now was a big mistake. The friends that I have, I am thankful for because they don’t judge me on what I look like or how I act. My friends I just began to realize are actually a lot like me. They have clothing styles that don’t agree with lots of other people, and they act very wildly. The only difference that they have from me is that they do not care what other people think of them. I envy them because of this, but now I know that all I have to do is believe in myself and stop thinking what the world thinks and start believing in myself.

This may sound dumb to some people because they have changed themselves to fit in and it has worked, but I believe that self acceptance is very important in life because you will go through life believing that other people are always looking down on you, and that you always have to change to fit in with everyone else in the world. So now you know that I believe in self acceptance.