Riley - USA

Love Does Not End With Death

I believe that only a movie with awe inspiring visuals and entincing plotline would come from Vincent Ward and Ronald Bass. What Dreams May Come has become known as absoultly stunning as the winner of the 1999 Academy Award for Best Visual Effects. It was released in 1998, with Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra leading the film With it’s romantic love story, stunning visuals and clever editing, What Dreams May Come is a powerful movie.

Anyone would love to have a relationship like Chris and Annie have. They literally bump into each other. Only to later only litterally run into each other again on a mountain and fall in love. They have a rare connection as true soul mates and are hopelessly devoted to each other. We see how far that devotion goes as their two children and Chris all die tradgeicy. Chris is so devote that he recues Annie from Hell when she doesn’t forgive herself ( the biggest sin of all ) and commites suidice. And in this situation, both capture our empathy. I mean Chris sets out on the most perilous journey of his life, or afterlife I guess. This is a quest for everlasting love that will take him to hell and back! What’s more romantic than that?

Special effects have enhanced everything from the subtle greens of the mosses and grass to the crimsons, violets, oranges, and blues of the flower petals. Heaven is what you make it. Since Chris thinks in terms of a painting, he ends up in one of Annie’s paintings, a gorgeous landscape of where they first met, which at first is actually made up of acryllic paints, so when, for example, he picks up a flower from the ground and crushes it, it turns into acryllic right in his hands. This paint pallet is of vibrant hues and magnificent colors. The image of Chris’ heaven is also like living inside Renaissance painting or a Hallmark Greeting Card with all of the images of celestial cities and angels apear in the film. All of which are familiar to anyone who has studied classical art I’m sure. Likewise, hell is grim. It is a dark place. All of it’s color is almost leeched out to the point where everything is monochromatic. Hell has an entrance that is as fiery and frightening as we all imagined it would be. While the sea of faces buried into the ground is a breathtaking and also unnerrving sight.

Telling its tale in flashbacks gives the film the opportunity to gradually uncover its story.