Safa - Great Falls, Virginia

I believe in selflessness

We’ve all heard people say it or have said something similar to it ourselves, “______ is so annoying, I can’t take it anymore” Many times during the month, week, or even day many people become frustrated or just angry at the behavior of another person. Many of our evenings are filled with venting out our frustrations to our husbands, wives, friends, or family about someone that bothered or ruined our day. Although I think it is acceptable to be able to vent these feelings to others, I do not think it is acceptable to express feelings of hate against another person.

At the age of 5 my parents got divorced and my father left my mother and I without any money or a place to live. My parents had created a business together that had aquired a large amount of debt and at the time of the divorce my father filed for banqrupcy without my mother’s knowledge, leaving her to pay for all the debt that their company had acquired. After that day, my father disappeared out of our lives, refusing to pay a penny of child support, or for the money he owed my mother. Believe it or not my mother never said a mean word about my father, at least not in front of me. As I grew up I realized what had happened and began to feel a lot of anger towards my father. At times I would get so mad I would tell my mother I wanted to call him and tell him just how much he hurt us, but everytime I would hear the same response “you have no right to tell him what he did was wrong.” It was after many years after that my mother explained to me exactly what she mean’t by that. She explained that anytime you have the urge to yell or tell anyone anything negative about themselves, resist it. No one has the right to put anyone else down, feeling anger against another person is a sign of weakness, and instead of taking it out on another, you need to forget about yourself and think about how bad it will make that person feel if you yell at them. I now understand the wisdom of those words. I cannot better myself by putting down another, but I can grow and become better by overcoming my anger and thinking of the feelings over others rather than my own.

Thanks to my mother’s example I have learned to forget myself and think of other people. Through this I truly believe, I will become a better person. With this as my belief, I work day by day to increase my patience and put others before myself.