Sherwood - Potter Valley, California
Age Group: 65+

I believe it’s time for a new religion. Think about it. Dietary laws, clothing laws, golden streets in the sky, eternal firey pits, reincarnation, demons, angels, archangels, vestial virgins, raising the dead, holy ghosts, holy wars, holy animals, incantations, prayer beads, prayer walls, prayer carpets, gender bias, and a raft of other absurdities. Sure, I believe we need something to believe in, but established religions are divisive and don’t supply it. They want us to keep the faith, but faith in what…the irrational. Consequently, we need to update our beliefs the way we update outmoded things that don’t function very well. As an inveterate do-it-yourselfer, I’ve come up with my own unifying religion. It embraces the beliefs of all religions and philosophies provided they aren’t based on superstition, mysticism, or “blind faith”. Envision a religion I’ve called ONE. My religion acknowledges only one miracle…the miracle of infinite creativity in God and man. ONE believes that God is knowable both internally and externally…internally in the opportunity to use creative choices that ultimately give meaning to life and externally in scientific laws that forge an evolving universe. I believe all scientific laws of the physical universe are part of God’s creativity and scientists are putting us on God’s doorstep, but I also believe that God created aphysical truths as well which coexist and are equally important. Aphysical truth postulates that selective positive choice gives equilibrium and the best solutions to life. Creativity emanates from the spirit of God and distinguishes us from other creatures…it sanctifies life. Therefore, I believe the key to life is acting on intelligent creative choices rather than the passivity of prayer and supplication. Prayer may act as an emotional poultice to encourange choice and commitiment, but God’s gifts come as the result of our actions not prayers. A loving God has freely given us the universe and our creativity; beyond this, we must earn rewards. Choice inspires and affects attitudes and promotes success, whereas failure to heed either physical or aphysical truths often results in catastrophe and pain. I believe that Heaven and Hell exist only in our mind as a result of our choice and action, rather than in an afterlife. Choice is the basis for character and character is the ship that weathers life’s storms. When violence, tragedy, and misfortune fatefully strike, our vehicle to recovery is wiser choices. I believe that God’s endowment of human creativity is infinite and stimulates a full range of human emotion that displays our oneness with each other and with nature. Some examples of positive choice are: love rather than hate, compassion rather than cruelty, inclusion rather than exclusion, generosity rather than selfishness, forgiveness rather than animosity, understanding rather than ignorance, freedom rather than enslavement…. I believe that acting on positive choice discloses the true nature of God within each of us and brings joy that radiates to others. In short, God’s formula for us is “Do what’s right”, and creativity is the means to accomplish it. Our creativity has no bounds. It can be as seemingly insignificant as “making someone’s day” with a smile to nurturing children toward adulthood, or it can be as profound as great works of art and discovery, but regardless of the level of creativity, it begins with thoughtful choice. And, I believe the salvation of the world is found in the principles of ONE.