Cecilia - Sierra Vista, Arizona

Destiny, it’s not just a pretty word or a pretty name but a word that has a lot of meaning to it. One always questions the bad things that happen; never to question the good ones. The good things are seen as luck. Perhaps we might have been wearing some lucky piece clothing, or that it had to do with the lucky coin we found on the floor. One doesn’t stop to think we were meant to be there when we say “we lucked out” for whatever good happened. This I believe, everything we go through good or bad, our destiny is already written to what’s going to happen to us.

I once read a quote in my church’s bulletin paper that read, “Don’t put a question, where the Lord has placed a period”. Whether it makes sense grammar wise or not, it made a lot of sense to me. The very painful path destiny took me through was at a time when never in my life had I asked why so many times, were the dreadful news of my husband’s passing in the Middle East. I found myself blaming everyone and everything loosing faith. I was blaming my Lord my Creator, the President, everyone, for what I and my kids, our entire family was going through; for what my husband might have gone through. One night after a few weeks of his services, I was crying and praying for my husband when in my dream my husband came to me telling me to read an email I had sent to my brother on a particular holiday. It was one of those odd dreams when you wake up and ask yourself, “What was that all about?” I had mentioned to my brother about my church’s quote and was trying to help him deal with his broken engagement. When I woke up, I wasn’t sure what my husband was trying to tell me but I went to check on that email. In letters that I don’t remember making bold, was my church’s quote, “Don’t put a question where the Lord has placed a period”. It was my husband’s way of telling me he was destined to be in heaven even the way he had passed. Our destiny was to continue life here on Earth without him, we’d meet again someday. My husband looked content as he reassured us that we’d be a family again someday. Where he was now, he was happy and we had to accept it.

My husband’s destiny followed its path; there was nothing he or any of us could’ve done differently. It restored my faith with our Lord. The human, selfish part of me cannot completely stop questioning altogether, but I do remember that little big word, destiny. I will always believe we cannot control destiny, as for me, prayer and acceptance helps me in situations out of my control and will help me be a stronger person and a better mom.