Melissa - Ft. Huachuca, Arizona

I believe that I had no real friends; I believe this because I don’t know what it is like to have a real friend. Every friend I have ever had has just stopped talking to me, because I wasn’t cool enough for them. Most of my friends would only talk to me when certain people weren’t around because I was the home schooled freak. Most of my “friends” didn’t even tell me anything; they found more comfort in telling my brother. I was only there so they would never be alone. Having friends like that leads to a really boring life of spending all of my time watching TV, reading a book or doing homework. Just what every teenager wants to remember about high school. I thought high school was suppose to be the best time of your life, where you make your real friends, but how can you if no one will talk to you? I have always dreamed about having friends that would call me up and say “we have to hang out”, or “I just broke up with my boyfriend”. I have to call them up and then they are too busy doing “homework”, code for “I have better things to do”. Or my favorite “friend” tactic was you can’t hang out with them I don’t like them, but by the end of the school year you thought they were the coolest people. That really shows me how much you really care about me. I just started hanging out with my brother’s friends even if none of them knew my real name. At least they would invite me to go with them which is more than my “friends” ever did for me.

I have told this part of my sad life because if you didn’t understand what I had gone through you wouldn’t understand who I have become today. I have now become an excellent friend because I know what every person needs from a friend; just someone who will listen to them. All of those things happened my sophomore year, and because I have had such a horrible experience with friends in my past I haven’t been able to accept many people into my life. I am getting better now, thanks to my two greatest friends who I know are always there for me even if they never answer their phones. My best friend is Mike he and I are the same in every way, his mother calls us identical twins. With out him I might still be trapped in my bubble of uncertainty. He helped me see who I am really am. Amanda she is my eccentric friend, but without her I wouldn’t ever leave my house or get out of bed in the morning. If it wasn’t for these people I might still believe that I had no friends left in this world. But now I believe that I have the greatest friends anyone could ever ask for.