Haley - Sierra Vista, Arizona
Themes: golden rule

“This I Believe”

Since elementary school, I have heard this phrase more then any other phrase. It seems to me that everyone would know this phrase and want to live by it. People today are to busy and concerned on what is going on in their lives to think of anyone else. Hardly anyone even turns their head anymore when they see or hear that someone is feeling down or hurt. But I believe that we should treat others the way we want to be treated.

I believe that being nice to other people and trying to help out when you can, makes other people want to be more like you and hopefully try and help others the way that you helped them. I believe that even if we are having a bad day, we should find someone else that is having a bad day and try to help them out so that maybe they might not feel as crummy as you do at that moment. I believe that maybe there is more then just you out there that is trying to help, and by good karma, it will finally be your turn to be helped out and you will be grateful that you decided to take a moment and help someone else.

I am not trying to be harsh to those who might not be living by this rule; I am simply just trying to suggest a change of heart. People who are always mean to other people and who only think about themselves wonder why they never receive help when they need it. Well I am here to tell you that no one wants to help someone that is always mean. We think things like, “Why do they deserve help?” All that they are interested in is themselves and making other people feel worse so that they can feel better.

I believe that even people who only care about themselves, deep down inside, want to help other people out, but it would take a change that they are not ready to make. I believe that even though we don’t feel as though we should help people like this, we should because one day they will realize that they too need to start helping others. I believe that society is getting worse, so instead of sitting back and watching, we can go out into the world and fight to help one person at a time. All we can do it try and make everyone want to treat other people the way they would like to be treated.

We can’t force other people to act the way we want them to but we can at least try. I believe that if we lend a helping hand, then eventually someone is going to want to do the same. Just one person can’t go out there and try to make a difference. We all have to put forth some effort and be a little nicer. It can be as small as opening a door for someone or as big as asking an enemy if they are ok. I believe that if we are nice to others and treat them the way we would like to be treated; then eventually everyone, might want to do the same.