Amanda - Sierra Vista, Arizona

Life as a kid is all about waiting: waiting to start school, to loose your first tooth, to start junior high, to get your first kiss, to turn sixteen, to get asked to senior prom, and to graduate high school. My parents always told me to try not to grow up to fast, naturally because it was my parents that told me this I tried to grow up as fast as I could. I learned from a current dating experience that your parents will enforce the rules to prevent you from growing up too fast for their liking. Now that I look back on the last couple of months, I believe that the great things in life are worth the wait.

It was the beginning of my senior year and due to the lack of attractive boys at my high school I began to crush on a boy who had graduated two years before. This boy was everything that I was looking for, we had the same friends, he made me laugh, he was smart, and not to mention very attractive. I was swooning from the get go and learned that the boy reciprocated the feelings that I had for him. Now the hard part, convincing my parents to let me date a nineteen year-old, while I was still seventeen.

With the expected no from my parents and the lecture that he was too old and only wanted to get in my pants, I became concerned about how the boy would react to the news. To my surprise he said that he understood and respected my parent’s decision. I thought that this was already the end of something that could be amazing, but little did I know what the boy was about to tell me. He said he would wait till I turned eighteen to date me; I was thrilled, he must care about me to wait for me. However, reality started to kick in, unlike most high school seniors who turn eighteen early on in their senior year I would not be eighteen until May, ten days before I graduated. So with the idea of waiting seven months and attending my senior activities with someone else, I hesitated. He convinced me with just one look that we could make it work.

We have gone on strong for the past eight months, waiting for our turn to be together and I am finally allowed to go on a date with this boy. I turned eighteen about a month ago and have my high school diploma tucked under my belt. With the knowledge that I will be allowed to go to diner, the movies, and talk about this boy that I am absolutely crazy about; I am glad that we decided to take the chance and wait. This I believe that the great things in life are well worth the wait.