Miah - Huachuca City, Arizona

I believe in Music and the power it gives me. I love to turn on the car radio and belt out my favorite tune as the person in the car next to me looks at me as if I have lost my mind. Music connects me to the world and to my fellow man. I feel like I will always have something in common with the next person I meet. It is universal for me.

Music inspires me in so many ways. I can listen to a great song by Bob Dylan and get up and grab a tablet of paper. I want to write my own song to express my feelings and my views. Music allows me to open myself and breach into a world of creativity and imagination. I find myself, much like last night, lying in bed listening to a little music before I fall asleep. Right as I am about to drift into another world, I get inspired to paint or draw something; finding myself wide awake. There is no sleeping when something is in my mind. I could not fall asleep until I at least started on my idea.

Music has become a bit of an obsession. I sit still or in silence and I need the beats of a drum on my ears. I only feel truly comfortable when I am listening to something rhythmical. I love when I can walk down the street and see complete strangers wearing some sort of band logo on their T-shirt. I always stop to say “Hey, I love that band.” I find myself often talking to complete strangers with out fear or anxiety about music. We’ll discuss where they bought the shirt, if they have seen them live, and then depart. Like the whole meeting was nothing out of the ordinary. I love how I can connect on that level. It is almost private and I open up and share it with others, and they do the same for me.

Music opens me to another world and I feel so at home in it. In an almost therapeutic way, Music has helped me through tough times. When I have had a bad day, I would turn on the stereo and put on a Pink Floyd track or something from the Cars. I can relate to their songs like they almost wrote them for me. Yet I know so many others are listening to the same songs and thinking the same. The connectivity I feel is astounding.

Music gives me the feeling that I can get through life; a feeling that I can get up in the morning and I will be ok. No one can get to me when I have my head phones on: I feel untouchable and invincible. Music, to me, is the heartbeat of the world and we are just apart of it. It has been apart of the world since the beginning of time and I could not imagine a world without. I especially could not imagine my world without.