Whitney - Farmville, North Carolina

My REAL Family

I believe in multi-ethnic families. I am 21 years old and my family is anything but the “American Dream” mom, dad, 2.5 children. I have a sister who is really my half sister, but we are so extremely close that no one would ever know that we didn’t have the same father. We were raised in the same household from the day I was born and were never treated as anything other than sisters. She is my best friend. I also have two brothers…god brothers, but everything a brother is to someone else they are to me. They are half Nigerian and half Thai. To understand our family you first need to understand how they fit into it. When my mother was a senior in high school her family was supposed to have a foreign exchange student, However my grandfather had just died the previous year and my grandmother didn’t think that it would be a good idea so the exchange student went to live with a different family. Her name is Amy and she is from Thailand. She still went to my mom’s high school and they became best friends. This brings us to the present day and my god brothers. Amy married a man from Nigeria and they had three children. Two of them now live in the states and they mean just as much to me as my own flesh and blood sister does. I knew of them growing up but I never met any of them until I was in the 9th grade. That is when Olisa, the oldest, came over from Nigeria Africa and started college. As I got older and got to know them better we because much closer and grew as a family. It opened my eyes to a whole new world. I take for granted that some people don’t get to have a wonderfully diverse family like I do. I have learned so much from my brothers, not only about their culture but about life. There are so many people in the world that are close minded to the fact that there is inter-racial dating and multi-ethnic families everywhere, I just wish that I could get them to see that it is what a person has to offer that matters and not what he/she looks like on the outside. I cannot tell you how many blank stares and awkward looks I have gotten when I have introduced people to my two black brothers, but that doesn’t matter to me because what they look like doesn’t have anything to do with who they are. I love them because of what they accomplish, the sense of family we have and how they are always there for me. My whole family is the most important thing to me not just the people who are related to me by blood and I wish that people everywhere could be more open minded.