Linda - Jackdonville Beach, Florida

This I believe:

I believe that perioperative nurses who coordinate patient care in not only the operating rooms across our great nation but in any place where a patient is having an invasive procedure is one of the most important registered nurses in the field of specialty nursing. They work closely with the surgical patient, family members and other health-care professionals to help plan, implement and evaluate treatment for the patient. I believe that perioperative nurses are not just doing technical work that anyone can do but are highly skilled and knowledgeable registered nurses who care for patients before, during and after all surgical procedures. These nurses in the past where mysteries in mask behind the OR doors that patients did not remember but now the public is educated about what perioperative nurses do and see that we believe in what we do. I believe that perioperative nurses want to be the best they can be; in fact, they want to be the best of the best. I feel we can only do this if we are knowledgeable in our professional specialty and always reach out to learn more in these times. I believe that technology is taking us on a very fast ride. In this technology-filled world of periopertive nursing, we have to be able to implement actions to ensure and maintain a safe environment for the patient entrusted to our care. If there is any problem with any piece of equipment the perioperative registered nurse has to be able to initiate corrective action for the malfunctioning technology.

Although in perioperative nursing technology is increasing, the human touch is still the most important piece of periopertive nursing care this I believe. I have seen nurses across the county and heard their stories how they have stepped to the side of the OR table and taken the patients hand explaining what is going on and reassured the patient and you can visibly see the calming effect in the patient. The perioperative nurse waits with the patient and reassures them they will stay with them through out the procedure. I believe that the visual sign of that nursing expertise is the holding of the patient’s hands. This is why I believe it is to the advantage of every patient undergoing an invasive procedure that they be cared for by a perioperative registered nurse, it is also to the advantage of every doctor you come in contact with and work with and to the advantage of your team mates in the OR that periopertive registered nurses be assigned to all surgical patients. Every surgical patient is precious and deserves a Periopertive Registered Nurse: this I believe with my whole heart.