Debra - Peoria, Arizona

Revelation 3:20 says that Jesus stands at the door and knocks. If anyone hears His voice and opens the door, He will come in. I believe that one day almost thirty years ago, Jesus knocked on my door.

I was twenty-two years old, in the throes of divorce, with two young children, no job and no money. For months I had mentally fought an invisible opponent who berated me with the notion that suicide was the only answer to all my problems. One evening, weary from the fight, with no one in my corner to cheer me on or attend my wounds, I decided I would throw in the towel and surrender to my foe. In the midst of such despairing thoughts a new idea—almost a craving—assaulted my head. “Read a book,” it screamed. I decided to humor it. I stood before my bookshelf and, appropriate for the mood I was in, grabbed a best seller I had been meaning to read concerning Bible prophecy and the end of the world. Little did I know God would use it to change my life.

I devoured that book until I got to a page that quoted the third chapter of John, where Jesus tells a man that he must be “born again.” It was the end of the 70’s. I had heard all the “Hippie speak” about being born again and accepting Jesus as Savior, but I had no idea what that all meant—and I didn’t believe that it came from the Bible. I went right back to my bookshelf, found a Bible and looked up the passage. In red letters denoting Jesus’ words, I saw it was true.

By the time I finished the book I knew what I believed. I believed that the idea to read a book hadn’t been mine. I believed that I had almost been as deceived as Adam and Eve had been in the Garden of Eden. I believed that if I had successfully committed suicide I’d have been facing far worse, eternal problems. I believed that I was a sinner and I couldn’t save myself by shedding my own blood; Jesus had already shed His blood in my place. I believed that if I asked Jesus to save me and come into my life, He would. And I believed that somehow, He could straighten out the mess I had made of things up to that point.

I never did get that divorce. Within two weeks of my decision to accept Jesus as my Savior, I got to share my new beliefs with my husband. He also asked Jesus to save him, and we’ve been together ever since. We raised our children, and now have two beautiful grandchildren.

When I heard Jesus knock I could’ve refused to open the door. I believe I made the best decision of my life when I flung the door open wide and declared, “Come in, friend!”