Jessica - San Deigo, California

What do I believe in? I believe in the right to our own independence. I believe that every kid has a right to do things on their own. I believe that kid’s parents are too strict about what their children do. If you want them to have your respect, you should give them respect by letting them do things without you being a chaperone.

Way too many kids these days have been locked up in their houses because their parents don’t trust them to be alone. My parents wouldn’t let me go out shopping with my friends alone until I was 13. I never really gave them respect because they didn’t show me respect by trusting me to go shopping in a mall with my friends. When they finally let me go I was so happy because they had finally showed me respect by trusting me to do things without them. Many teenagers these days are never allowed to go outside into the free world today just because their parents can’t trust them enough to let them go to the mall. I Believe that parents are being too hard on their teenagers because they do one thing wrong doesn’t mean that they won’t learn from that mistake. Teenagers especially need to be let go because they have a lot of energy and can hold grudges against people. This is why so many kids run away and try to harm themselves. They think that their life would be better without their parents and that their parents lives would be better without them so they to their best to get out of their parents way.

My belief may seem right to some and wrong to others, but I believe that teenagers should have their own independence to look forward to.