Richard - Falmouth, Massachusetts

I believe in the power of the garden. I believe that the garden can bring health, peace, and satisfaction to ordinary lives. Consider that the garden exercises and strengthens the body. the garden nourishes the body while pleasing the tongue; none would dispute that home-grown fruits and vegetables surpass. the garden stimulates and enriches the […]

Age Group: 65+
Themes: nature

I believe in the power of the garden. I believe that the garden can bring health, peace, and satisfaction to ordinary lives.

Consider that

the garden exercises and strengthens the body.

the garden nourishes the body while pleasing the tongue; none would dispute that home-grown fruits and vegetables surpass.

the garden stimulates and enriches the mind; necessarily a student, the gardener continually encounters problems to be solved and mysteries to be explained.

the garden soothes the spirit; gardens are calm places, and tasks such as weeding can be conducted in a mental state akin to meditation, emptying the mind of thought.

the garden elevates the spirit; its beauty gives the gardener joy.

the garden delights the senses, particularly vision, smell, and taste, but also hearing, even touch.

the garden is the setting in most depictions of lovers.

the garden is an outlet for creative instincts.

the garden fosters generosity; little pleases the gardener more than to give away what he or she has grown.

the garden provides pleasant surprises; many a fine blossom comes from a seed brought in “on the wind”; many a forgotten flower suddenly reappears.

the garden is a place for all, from the impoverished to the wealthy.

the garden welcomes handicapped workers, even the blind.

the garden can be a garden the year round, even in temperate climes.

It is said that when in the garden one is closest to God. I do not believe in an all-powerful god that oversees and affects the affairs of men, but if you were to argue that the garden is a principal manifestation of God, I would not object.

Walking home after his Sunday morning sermon, a preacher stopped to congratulate a gardener saying, “Beautiful garden you and the Lord have made here.” to which the gardener replied, “Thank you, but you should have seen it when the Lord was doing it all by Himself.”